"Just a short note to thank you for your talk last Wednesday. A number of our members have told me how much they enjoyed it, expressing the view that it was one of the very best talks we have ever had. Knowing your work I had high expectations of a good night and you certainly delivered. It goes without saying that the images you presented were of the very highest order but the thought that you had clearly put into the structure of your presentation helped tremendously in providing very practical hints and tips on how to consider the various elements of strong photography. In addition your relaxed and very informative presentation style helped to make us all feel that we had been given a master-class of how to go about seeing the “Hidden Landscape”."
Over the last few years I've given talks at a number of different camera clubs, both in Yorkshire and further afield in the UK. I've also spoken at the Outdoors and Adventure Show in London for Outdoor Photography (2016), the Connected 2015 event at Patchings in Nottinghamshire and Moorsview in Pickering, also 2015; and the Photography Show at the NEC in 2018.
At the moment, I have two talks prepared:
- Unremarkable Scenes, focusing on photographing more every day scenes, hidden landscapes, and working your local patch; and
- Barren & Beautiful : the desert landscapes of Namibia and Ladakh, exploring the surprisingly diverse and rich landscapes to be found in two very different deserts.
I've already given both talks to some clubs and am in the process of working on another talk. In an ideal world I like to give talks that make people think and offer a few new ideas - for this reason, it may take me a little time to complete talk number three! However, it is in its early stages and will focus on mood, composition and the various factors that help us to create a compelling photograph or series of photographs.
After a very busy 2016/17 season doing the best part of 20 talks, I've committed myself to rather less in the coming year or so, but am happy to take on a few more engagements so please do get in touch and we will see if we can agree a mutually convenient date.
Talks already agreed are as follows:
- Monday 19th March 2018 - Fotospeed stand at the Photography Show, NEC - 2.30pm
- Thursday 29th March 2018 - Stokesley Photographic Society
- Tuesday 7th August 2018 - Rochdale Camera Club
- Tuesday 11th September 2018 - Batley Camera Club
- Wednesday 31st October 2018 - Keswick Camera Club
- Thursday 21st February 2019 - Pontefract Camera Club
- Wednesday 27th February 2019 - Cookridge Camera Club
- Monday 8th April 2019 - Macclesfield Camera Club
- Wednesday 18th September 2019 - Stockton Camera Club
- Monday 18th November 2019 - Harrogate Photographic Society
- Tuesday 26th November 2019 - Leeds Photographic Society
- a few other clubs/dates in discussion and will be added once dates have been agreed.
"Thank you for talk last night. I wondered if prior to booking you,that your work might have been "too artistic" for some but thankfully everyone agreed that your work was nothing less than superb. Truly inspirational. We're now going out on Saturday morning with your images in mind, to see if we can produce something similar."
"Many thanks for last evening. We had the best attendance I have seen in the last eight years as a member of the club. Your presentation was excellent and much enjoyed by those present as you could no doubt see by members reaction. On a personal note I was very impressed by the simplicity in some of your images. Never seen this approach being so effective."